This dish is a combination of roasted red peppers and smoked tofu. It is crispy and very flavorful. I find those as two perfectly paired ingredients. The specific, unique taste of roasted (and peeled off) peppers goes perfectly along with the smoky tofu flavour. For those who enjoy fried food, this dish can be quite something.
Roasted peppers can be prepared days and months ahead and freezed out. Usually I use peppers prepared this way through all over the year for different sorts of dishes, but especially for moussakas, or just simply combined with finely chopped garlic in a form of different salads.
They taste great too in a combo with some good vegan parmesan or any other cheese. Since it’s fried in oil (yet not too much oil because of a non-stick frying pan) you can simply put them on a paper napkin and it will absorb any extra excess of it (or in case you decide to fry them in deep oil instead).
For the dressing:
1. Prepare dipping mass and flour mixture: blend ingredients for dipping mass with wire whip, then set aside. Repeat the same with flour mixture ingredients. Pour bread crumbs on a plate. Pour oil in a frying pan. * You can do this step while peppers roast in oven.
2. Roast peppers for 35 min. in air fryer or convection oven at 200 Celsius degrees, make sure to flip them over after 20min. Save liquid that will remain after roasting, it’s going to be used for dressing.
3. Put them in a small bag, close the bag tightly and let them cool down. Next, peel them off and remove it’s skin, remove seeds too.
4. Heat up oil in a non-stick frying pan (medium temperature).
5. Take one pepper and put a slice of tofu in it. Make sure that tofu is covered by pepper from all sides. Dipp pepper into flour mixture generously, gently press flour onto pepper. Next, dipp pepper into a dipping mass, then into bread crumbs. Press bread crumbs gently on each side.
6. Gently put pepper into warm oil and fry it. Repeat the same process (dipping and frying) with the rest of the peppers. Fry on high to medium temperature. Set them aside.
7. Put salad ingredients on serving plates.
8. Blend ingredients for the dressing together. Pour dressing over the salad. Put fried peppers on top of salad.
9. Sprinkle the dish with toasted sesame seeds.